PMS headache. What is it and why does it happen?
PMS, what a headache! We all get headaches from time to time, but have you noticed how you are more prone to headaches around your period? It is completely normal, and it could be related to PMS.
PMS or Premenstrual Syndrome refers to a group of symptoms that an estimated 95% of females of reproductive age experience before the beginning of their periods every month. From mild to very uncomfortable symptoms, PMS can slow you down and put a damper on your personal and work life.
Symptoms of PMS
PMS symptoms are varied and can be very subtle (whew!) or sometimes very noticeable (ouch), but they include:
- Food cravings
- Tender, swollen breasts
- Fluid retention (Oh no!)
- Forgetfulness and clumsiness
- Mood swings (an emotional roller-coaster)
- Headaches (also called menstrual migraines)
According to the Mayo Clinic menstrual migraines before your period (or even during menstruation) are related to hormonal fluctuations and should not be a cause for alarm. Your hormones, estrogen, and progesterone, which play key roles in regulating your period, can affect headache-related chemicals in your brain. Just before your period begins, there is a steep decrease in estrogen levels which can make headaches worse. This could be even a few days before your menstruation begins, so it is not uncommon to experience menstrual migraines about 3 to 5 days prior to your menses.
These menstrual migraines can sometimes be harder on you than a regular headache (bummer!).
These headaches might also be accompanied by:
- sensitivity to bright lights
- sensitivity to noise
- throbbing pain on one side of the head
- nausea and indigestion
- chills or sweats
This sounds rough but there is hope! Even though changing hormone levels can influence headache patterns, you’re not completely at the mercy of your hormones. There are ways to help you treat—or prevent—hormone-related headaches.
What can you do?
You can lessen these symptoms by going easier on yourself on those days. Try to get more sleep by going to bed a bit earlier or napping when you get a chance. If you know that some foods might trigger headaches, like heavy meals or alcohol, try to avoid them around your period. Take a relaxing walk or do light exercise. Give yourself a bit more time to unwind or take some minutes to practice your favorite hobby. Some doctors recommend NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) for relief depending on the severity and frequency of the migraines, you can easily find them at pharmacies.
There are also natural alternatives to support relaxation and general wellness that you can try, such as deep breathing, meditation, or natural supplements. There are many ways you can feel better.
Don’t stress about it.
There is no need to fret, you won’t always feel all these symptoms, and not all at the same time! PMS comes in many forms and is different for every woman, just know that they are normal, and they’ll pass.
Now wouldn’t it be cool if there were vegan products that could help making PMS easier for you? Holief™ is here to help! We have a complete line of hemp-infused products so you feel empowered, every day of your cycle!
Holief™ PMS Line: The Relief You Wanted
Holief™ PMS is a product line built around pure and rich Hemp extract, to promote feminine wellbeing. The herbal mix you will find in this product line works to aid in relaxation and relieve pains related to menstrual cramps.
Some of our special PMS products include:
- Holi-Cramp. Relaxing cream with olive oil, vitamin E, MCT oil and infused with Hemp extract. This topical product is formulated to bring relaxation and lasting relief to the lower part of the abdomen. It helps with discomfort associated with moderate menstrual cramps and is ideal for daily use. It is fragrance-free and easy to carry. Use as needed and enjoy the benefits of the purest natural Hemp extract.
- Holi-Cramp Plus. This cream is recommended for strong menstrual cramps and can be used any time during the day. It helps to relax the lower part of your abdomen and brings relief for discomfort associated with menstrual cramps. It contains the same natural ingredients as Holi-Cramp, but It also adds menthol, for a more effective calming and relaxing effect.
Our creams have a certified hypoallergenic base, are paraben free, and use no artificial coloring or scents. They are formulated with natural botanical oils to moisturize dry and sensitive skin.