Why do you get nausea with PMS? Should you be concerned?
You know the feeling, the achiness in your lower back, pelvis, and thighs, it’s that time of the month again and your period cramps are coming on! But this time there is an additional pain: nausea. Don’t worry, for most women nausea is usually a very normal part of PMS, and guess what? It’s hormonal!
There is a hormone called Prostaglandin that circulates around your body to help launch an inflammatory response to pathogens, and during your period it’s helping your uterus contract and shed its lining. As a side effect, this process can lead to nausea, vomiting, and headaches.
Additionally, if you experience painful cramps, back pain, and leg pain you may also experience nausea from time to time, or the feeling of wanting to vomit. Alleviating pain from cramps may also aid in relieving the nausea. Applying warm heat to the abdomen with a hot water bottle, electric blanket, or warm bean bag compress will help with the cramps and may also help nausea subside. A warm bath can also be very soothing, but if you are experiencing nausea make sure the bath water is not too hot as that could aggravate the nausea further.
Most of the time nausea is harmless and just a normal part of PMS, but sometimes there are more serious causes.
One possible cause is Endometriosis, which is a disorder where the tissue in the uterus that sheds during your period starts to grow back outside of the uterus. In some cases that tissue will grow near the intestines which can cause nausea, fatigue, diarrhea, constipation, and bloating.
Another serious cause of nausea during PMS may be attributed to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). This disease can happen when bacteria from the vagina move to the uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes. A possible reason for this would be an undiagnosed Sexually Transmitted Infection such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. It can also be caused by using a douche or an intrauterine device (IUD) for birth control. If you are within the first three weeks of getting an IUD, you are at a higher risk of developing PID.
Typically, PMS Nausea is common and normal, however if you’ve never experienced it before and are having more severe symptoms like vomiting, or even weight loss, you will want to seek medical advice as soon as possible. If you experience a fever, feel severe pain, or have unusual discharge, you will also want to contact your doctor.
It’s likely you are just experiencing the normal kind of PMS nausea, and for that there are many simple solutions, some are:
- Getting outside: a walk and fresh air can bring relief.
- A cool compress placed on your abdomen or pelvis.
- A warm (not hot!) bath.
- Drinking plenty of water
- Tea with Ginger Root, Peppermint, or Chamomile
- Eating a bland diet, avoid fatty or spicy foods.
- If all else fails, try an antacid.
Now wouldn’t it be cool if there were vegan products that could help making PMS easier for you? Holief™ is here to help! We have a complete line of hemp-infused products so you feel empowered, every day of your cycle!
Holief™ PMS Line: The Relief You Wanted
Holief™ PMS is a product line built around pure and rich Hemp extract, to promote feminine wellbeing. The herbal mix you will find in this product line works to aid in relaxation and relieve pains related to menstrual cramps.
Some of our special PMS products include:
- Holi-Cramp. Relaxing cream with olive oil, vitamin E, MCT oil and infused with Hemp extract. This topical product is formulated to bring relaxation and lasting relief to the lower part of the abdomen. It helps with discomfort associated with moderate menstrual cramps and is ideal for daily use. It is fragrance-free and easy to carry. Use as needed and enjoy the benefits of the purest natural Hemp extract.
- Holi-Cramp Plus. This cream is recommended for strong menstrual cramps and can be used any time during the day. It helps to relax the lower part of your abdomen and brings relief for discomfort associated with menstrual cramps. It contains the same natural ingredients as Holi-Cramp, but It also adds menthol, for a more effective calming and relaxing effect.
Our creams have a certified hypoallergenic base, are paraben free, and use no artificial coloring or scents. They are formulated with natural botanical oils to moisturize dry and sensitive skin.